Slope-wide perfect attendance and essay contest promotion applies to all high school students.
The NSBSD and ASNA have team together in response to SB137 to address the devastating impact of suicide in Alaska.
A special reporting series: being young in rural Alaska
This fall the North Slope Borough School District unveiled a middle school unit that will bring children face to face with their own history.
On November 5, 2012 Meade River School teachers, staff and students accepted a thoughtful and generous gift of hats and gloves from the Arctic Slope Community Foundation
Assocation of Alaska School Boards Board of Directors and school districs across Alaska recognized Board Members Mary Sage, Roy Nageak and Amos Nashookpuk for their efforts in pulling together everyone in and beyond the local level toward a common goal - helping students achieve.
Welcome to Barrow High School Home of the Whalers!
Barrow is the largest city within the North Slope Borough with approximately 5000 residents of whom approximately 60% are Iñupiat. The remaining 40% are divided among Asians, Pacific Islanders, Europeans, and North Americans. The rich, diverse student population of Barrow High School describes but just one of 11 schools in the North Slope Borough School District.
Our students have a menu of options from which to choose when preparing for their future. Our vocational department provides exposure to a wide variety of career and technical options. In addition, Advanced Placement courses in mathematics and science are available, as well as all the general educational courses needed for fulfilling the requirements for a high school diploma and the Alaska Performance Scholarship.
The staff of BHS is dedicated to embracing our District’s mission of providing educational opportunities that are rooted in the values, history and language of the Iñupiat.
- Bev Hunter-Gillaspie, Principal